Pages

Monday, January 17, 2011

Friendships that transcend

Have you ever had a friendship that transcends? Have you ever met a person that despite your age difference, cultural upbringing, or...really anything that would be a normal friendship barrier---is your friend anyway? There is a bond that cannot be explained with words. There is a closeness that is beyond what should be. There is just a natural camaraderie. I have.

I had lunch to day with one the most awesome guys on the planet. His life story is really amazing to me. He was a huge direct part of putting a man on the moon---he worked on the Apollo space program! That in itself is cool-I always tease him that I brag to all of my friends that I know a real rocket scientist. He has the most colorful stories and has lived a life of adventure. He was recoutning some things over lunch that I didn't know--that he got to pet Lassie, met Don Knotts (and for the record the crazy whiny voice is a put on--I ask the burning questions that everyone wants to know), and had interaction with Dr. Wernher von Braun-renowned rocket guy.

He can really tell a joke--an ability of which I am most envious. Timing is everything. Gladys has been through a lot through the years--I remember the grocery store incident--alas, I digress.
He is one of those people who light up a room when they come into it. He is endlessly positive, courageously strong, and full of joy at all times. He is full of compassion for people and wants them to be the very best they can be and to have the very best they can have. He is always there with a word of encouragement. He is there with a laugh in good times and a supportive presence in bad.

At this writing, he is fighting against an unseen enemy but is relentless in his fight to vanquish the storming troops. It is a battle that he begins anew each day. It is a battle of wills. It is a battle of faith. It is a fight against oppression. It is a war waged against weakness.
To hear him describe the battle is both gut-wrenching and inspiring.
Surrounded on every side by the ravening enemy with only a short sword to fight your way out. The more you try the worse the battle goes. The greater the pressure--the greater the struggle. There is no easy day, there is no quick escape. There are no holidays or vacations from the unseen forces. They offer no mercy but he offers them no surrender.

It calls to mind these verses:
2 Corinthians 4:8-9, 16-18
We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Romans 8:31- What, then, shall we say in response to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us?

I want to take up swords with him and fight back the darkness. I too, desire the destruction of every enemy force.
I know that God is with Him, and is for Him. The inspiring part is that though pressed, perplexed, and beat down--he is truly not deterred from his win. He does not lose heart. He does not wallow in self pity. He does not give up any ground. He has already won!

The fight is not alone. I can't walk through the fight everyday but I can pray and pave the way for the the fight to continue. I can believe with him that God's best is his. I can keep the faith. I cannot and will not forget to stand alongside him each and everyday with support.

This is a man who makes be a better person for having known him.
This is my friend.
He is 73.
Pray for peace and strength for him. Take up arms on his behalf.

Blessings, peace and joy to you my transcendent friend.


In The Zone


1 comments:

Leasa said...

What a great post. I too know this man and will fight on everyday with him. As I read this I was in tears because knowing this man has been a huge blessing to me too.