Pages

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kel's Birthday

Today is my middle son's birthday. First off, Happy Birthday Kel.
He is so funny that I thought I would relate a brief overview of him.
Be warned this is slightly self-indulgent because it is all about my Kel.
Guaranteed a good read either way.

First a little background so you get him. He is a very picky eater but other than that he is a very low maintenance kid. He does very well in school, doesn't complain much, and prefers to chill rather than be high-strung and rambunctious. He loves to laugh and has a truly great laugh.

He has an easy way of being funny. It is very natural not forced.
His comedic timing is uncanny and he never tries to take it too far (this taking it too far is the opposite of me which is why my comedy career failed).

He is a fighter. He has faced several health challenges in his life and has fought down everyone of them. Nothing as serious as some face but serious nonetheless. Thank God for His faithfulness to take care of my Kel.

He is very time conscious. He wanted a watch for his birthday--not a GI Joe or Phineas and Ferb watch but one like Dad wears. Not digital but with hands and numbers. We gave that to him this morning before school. Tell me what 10 year old child wants to wear a watch everyday? He is the only one I've ever met.

He just seems to be one of those wise old soul types you hear people describe. He seems to have a plan for everything in life. He has wanted to be the owner of a bread factory ever since I can remember. While most kids want to be a fireman, policeman, sports star and change their mind every week...Kel has always wanted to be a bread maker. Not just any bread maker but a factory owner which tells me he has big plans for success. Keep your eye out in a few years for Kel's Krusty bread--it'll take the market by storm and I suggest getting in on the ground floor.

So, when we were talking about birthday festivities he was pretty non-commital about what he wanted, what he wanted to do, and who he wanted to do it with.
We finally figured out the things that he wanted as gifts--that was the easy part.
He never mentioned a party or cake or anything like that so we finally cornered him and he didn't really want to do a big party. He really wanted a spend the night deal with a friend of his. This young man recently had brain surgery and is not fully recovered enough to party yet.
Kel decided that basically he didn't want to do any of the parties we talked about but would just wait for his friend to get well and then have a spend the night party with him and his brothers. Pretty cool.

Anyway, I was teasing him last night as he kept asking did we have him any presents. I of course told him no. After a late night Walmart run, I told him that I picked him up one small present and that it was something you get from near the register at Walmart. Then I blurted out (accidentally of course) a giant pack of Skittles. With a brief pause he said, "Well, I DO like Skittles!" That was typical Kel and I thought it was hysterical. Instead of complaining and whining...he just decided that it was something he liked so be grateful.

I learned a lesson from my child on the verge of his tenth birthday...be grateful. For the small things, the large things and everything in between.

Kel, I am grateful for you. You are my little man. I love your laugh. I love your sense of humor. I love that you cut your own path in life and don't just follow the crowd. I love that you stick to what you believe no matter what others think. I love that you love to read. I love that you love God and your family and your friends. I love your hugs and the way you don't kiss on the lips. I love that when I do sneak a kiss on the lips you spit and sputter and squirm like you had a lizard on your face. Hysterical. I love your quiet confidence.
I love you because of all the things that make you...you!
I know that God has great plans for your life and that you will follow them through to be a great success.  I know that you will impact people for the good of the kingdom. I know that you will always be a shining light to those in need because of your kindness and compassion.

Happy Birthday Kel. I love you with all my heart.

PS: Uh-huh, I love you more.

Dad




2 comments:

Leasa said...

Bawling....

anything but LoKEY said...

Great post! He is an awesome kid! Happy Birthday Kellan!