Pages

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Kids are just funny!

I have some serious posts and some funny ones. This is going to be short and sweet and hopefully as funny to you as it is to me.
I am a huge Michael Jackson fan...or at least was as a kid. Thriller was my heyday as a teen.
Anyway, I have played some of the music from time to time for my boys as they all enjoy dancing--and what better music is there to dance to than MJ?
Well, we are riding in the car the other day and the oldest boy says to me, "Dad, I have a question." I told him to ask away.
***Fair Warning--The following dialogue is not made up or amended in anyway.
He asks, "Dad, who is Shamone?"
Flummoxed and not knowing anyone named Shamone I retort by saying I don't think I know who you are talking about.
He says, "No Dad, you know in Michael Jackson songs he always says, "Shamone, Shamone!" Child 2 and 3 begin singing and imitating this along with child 1.
I am trying not to wreck the car as I am doubled over with laughter. Not only at the fact that they are singing Shamone Shamone over and over in various ways. Or that they are dancing in the car shaking it and nearly breaking it.
But it dawns on me what they are talking about.
Child 1 says, "You know what I'm talking about now Dad? I thought Shamone must be someone very important to MJ since he says that name all the time."

I almost wreck. With tears in my eyes I tell them...much to their disappointment that Shamone is not a person at all. It is MJ's creative way of saying "COME ON!"

The laughter really was awesome as I believe that laughter is as good of a medicine as any pill you can take--especially if we will take it preventatively.

The other thing I too away is to be aware that what you say is not necessarily taken the way you intended.

I am endeavoring to tread lightly with people more and more. To extend grace more than judgment. To pass along kindness rather than impatience.

And last, know that as you go through each day and encourage people and try to help them...understand that saying something helpful doesn't always take the first time...for any of us. Try, try again.

I hope the story caused your laughter to increase and that the thoughts included are an encouragement to you. If so, let me know. Also, send me your funniest kid story so that I can get a laugh as well.

Watch out that your "Come On" doesn't turn into an important person named Shamone.

Peace and Blessings,


1 comments: